Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Orange Marmalade makes me smile

Today I had to smile to myself. I love sweet memories from the past with my nana, and today I wanted an english muffin for breakfast and decided to put Orange Marmalade on it. This always makes me think back to breakfast downstairs with Nana. She was always so particular about her breakfast. It was either a grapefruit and her tea, or toast with Orange Marmalade. I used to watch her prepare her breakfast, she would have her tea steeping til it was nice and strong and add her honey to it with just a bit of milk. Then if she was eating a grapefruit she would slice it in half on a plate, sometimes put a little bit of sugar on it, and she would so delicately use her spoon to take a piece out. If she had an english muffin she would slowly spread the butter on and then make sure every corner of it had marmalade on it. She was always so meticulous about how she did things. I still am in awe when I think back to how she would move through her day. She had such a natural grace. I have tried in my adulthood to emulate her and think in a situation what she would do.

My mother reminds me more and more of my Nana and it really amazes me. My Nana and I were beyond best friends, there was a bound there that no one will ever touch. It has been about 13 years since she past and not a day goes by when something does not remind me of her. I believe she is my guardian angel watching over me. The lessons I learned from her have continued to be a constant presence in my life.

If your Nana is alive give her a big squeeze, and think about all the memories you will cherish someday.

"Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever"

No comments: