Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy thoughts on a beautiful day

Since yesterdays blog was a bit heavy, sorry kids, I decided to add some happy thoughts to my blog on a day that is full of sunshine and promise.

Happiness some people think is something to attain, such as, if I get that promotion I will be happy, or that job, that car, meet the right person to settle down with, buy a house.. etc. However true happiness is being able to be okay with where you are and what you do have, finding that moment that you can just be at peace with it all.

I always revert back to children when I think about this, I think about there simplicity. I mean really, did you not notice that there can be a playroom full of toys for a child, and where do you hear the banging noise coming from? The kitchen, there they are on the ground near the cabinets.. banging the pots and laughing away. It makes me laugh just thinking about the things I found fun in as a child.

For instance I will never forget this moment. My mother worked nights so she could be home with us during the day, it was one of the many sacrifices she made for us to have some sort of normalcy. Well that would mean that she would still be asleep sometimes when we came in from school. So we would watch TV and do our homework.. haha.. no really, we sometimes did our homework. Anyway, on this one particular day we decided what a GREAT idea it would be to take the ladder from the bunk beds and we would each get in a hole and be a train with my brother Will as the conductor. Fun times. So there we are, all laughing and running around the hall in my house trying not to fall over. Well our conductor was not the best driver in the world. So as we make what was to be our final turn around the hall, we veered ever so slight to the right and took out one of a set of really pretty, and (to us) pricey ceramic lamps in the living room. Oops. So like any good children we drop the ladder, scatter and HIDE as quickly as possible as we hear our mothers bedroom door open. She comes out, "William, Tara, Ruth Marie, get out here". No way Jose we were coming out. Then we hear the kitchen draw open.. oh no.. the wooden spoon (back when it was okay to smack your kids ever so slightly). Now it was always so humorous watching our mom try to find us and try to get us with it. Ah, my poor mother. But I tell you, those were some of the best times as kids, finding new ways to entertain ourselves. Of course we did try from then on to avoid the lamps.

So, if you feel you need to find that happiness inside of you, do what I do, take a moment or 5 and do something that reminds you of childhood. For me, a ride on the swings, watching planes or just putting my feet in the water can make it all go away.

Happy Friday...

and remember...

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

1 comment:

RuthMarie said...

I'd like to add that you'll never be happy if you look for happiness in the things of this world. Just my two cents.