Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Stress... does it really get you anywhere?

Does stress really have a place in our lives? We all have it, but in the end where does it get us. With a 2 day migraine is where it gets me. I think that as much as I want to not stress about life I do, and even when I say I am not stressing, that is when I am knee deep in the trenches of it. When my shoulders are tight and my neck feels like it could snap from the tension.

What do I stress from? The normal things, work, love, money. All things we can change and work on, however it all takes time. I think sometimes we forget that in order to alleviate stress we need to take the baby steps to work on the things that are the cause of it. We need to make lists, on paper or in our mind, that are a guide to finding the answers we need. Now I am not saying these answers will lead to less stress, in fact some of the answers will lead to all sorts of new kinds. Oh boy you say! Well life is a challenge, everyday we face new things that can either make or break us. I feel it is how we approach them that make us the people we are.

We can laugh through them, sometimes cry through them, however we get through them it is a process, and that process is what we call life. The roller coaster analogy if you will. Sure we gets b umps and bruises along the way, but the amazing little miracles we get are the things we need to tenderly hold onto. The memories we want to keep in our heart and mind forever. The way my Nana used to smell, and the way she looked at me. The way my grandad used to tease me playfully and yet lovingly. My mothers strength that I still don't think I fully understand. The way it smells after a thunderstorm in the summertime. The smell of my new nephew, that amazing baby smell, that they really should bottle and sell. All these things are memories and moments that really stick in my mind.

Instead of stressing today, I am going to think of everything that I am truly blessed to have had in my life and the things that are present today. I am going to not allow anything to stress me out, and realize that sometimes things are out of my control. That I need to not sweat the small stuff, and truly pick my battles in life.

So.. today.. be happy.. and realize that tomorrow will take care of itself.

No comments: