Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Power of Now

So I had briefly heard a while ago on Oprah about this book "The Power of now" http://eckharttolle.com/the_power_of_now. I am always skeptical about these types of books, being that I believe in God I always wonder if this is to New age. However after hearing people speak about it and reading more about it, I was in Target on Monday running errands, saw it on the stand and made an impulse buy. Well I have to say that I am only through 2 chapters and it is scary how much it relates to what I need to hear right now.

Excerpts from the website:

"To make the journey into The Power of Now we will need to leave our analytical mind and its false created self, the ego, behind."

"Although the journey is challenging, Eckhart Tolle offers simple language and a question and answer format to guide us. The words themselves are the signposts. For many of us there are new discoveries to be made along the way: we are not our mind; we can find our way out of psychological pain; authentic human power is found by surrendering to the Now. We also find out that the body is actually one of the keys to entry into a state of inner peace, as are the silence and space all around us."

"We come to see that our relationships are yet another doorway into spiritual enlightenment if we use them wisely, meaning if we use them to become more conscious and therefore more loving human beings. The result? Real communion between self and others. If we are able to be fully present and take each step in the Now; if we are able to feel the reality of such things as the inner-body, surrender, forgiveness, and the Unmanifested, we will be opening ourselves to the transforming experience of The Power of Now.

Anyway, I know all of that sounds really heavy and new age, so that concerned me. However in reading the book the way I am perceiving it is. It basically talks of how we think to much, and over analyze our lives. That we need to listen to our true emotion, and use that more as a guiding force. I believe this with me to be true. I sometimes know the feeling and the right decision to make, although I sometimes will over think something to death and then end up all flustered and confused. I found myself taking a pen out and underlying key things that he said.

Well if you are leery of this book, but want to check it out, you can borrow it from me after. It is really great so far.


No comments: