Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thoughts on online dating

So I have done the online dating thing off and on for a while. I met my ex there, and yes, the one before that. I have definitely seen it evolve into what appears to sometimes be an online bar scene. There are people on there to hook up, to play games just as you would find at any bar in Boston or your hometown. Then there are people like me who truly want to find just one person to share my life with. There is that cliche saying "it just takes one". I truly believe that there is someone out there to share my days with. However being online you have to really make sure you have your radar on. That you can hone in on the ones that are real and honest. There are times we can have the wool pulled over our eyes.

I am extremely passionate person and tend to feel things pretty intensely. However as of late have learned to allow myself time to get to know someone. I think that is the key to finding the person I am meant to be with. Take the time to truly get to know them and see if you honestly click. If there is something there worth building on. This has been an amazing lesson for me, and I think I am doing a great job of putting it into practice.

The only issue for me that has always been hard with online dating is you never know if they are seeing other people etc. When do you decide to just see each other and date and see where it goes? This is a fine line. I think though when you know you have a good person in front of you, you should focus on getting to know them and seeing if there is a future there. Sometimes to many things in the air can lead to confusion. However like I said this is where the line gets fuzzy. No one wants to bring up that convo and you just want to have it happen naturally. Not always easy. Because honestly if you met at a bar or through a friend, you would not know if they were dating other people unless they told you anyway.

I think most of all the key is to keep a clear head, and remember who you are as a person without someone in your life. Hold onto that person always, and be clear on what you need and want in life. I believe I will attract into my life the right person for me and that confidence is a great thing to have.

Happy dating friends (although most of you are either married or practically married) :)

***************************
"Nobody will think you're somebody if you don't think so yourself."

2 comments:

Asian girls said...

I fully agree with you that we should first ask ourselves that what kind of relationship we want. Definitely honesty is the key for any good relationship and same applies here. After all it’s your decision how to make the most of your time you spent online.

Nav said...

I have actually written a book about on line dating which I hope to brign out in the next few months. In it I talk about the evolution of online dating, and talk about not only what it is but explain why peopel behave the way they do on line when supposedly looking for love on line.