Monday, February 23, 2009

Night out with my mom

This weekend ended on a really special note. I had got my mother tickets to see Emmy Lou Harris in concert for Christmas. My mother used to listen to her when I was a little girl and I would always hear her singing along. Part of the reason I am so muscial, is my mother always had the record player or tape player going with some form of music, be it celtic or country. I remember dancing around the kitchen and pretending I was this famous singer. I knew when I saw this concert announcement I had to take my mother. It was such a wonderful night. I took her out to a nice dinner near us, and then we headed in, even the rain could not stop us. She was like a kid in a candy store when we got there.

The seats at the Orpheum are ridiculous and you basically can not move because your knees touch the seat in front of you. However once the show started, neither of us even thought about it. It was Emmy Lou Harris with Patty Griffin and Shawn Colvin. The had a semi cirle on the stage and it was all acoustic. From the first song with solid harmonies, we were hooked. It was magical, and as my mother said it was rejuvenating. I felt close to tears sometimes not only by there passion when they sang, but the lyrics. The joy on my mothers face during the concert and after when she hugged me and thanked me for taking her made my heart feel full. Those who know me understand that my mother is my best friend. I would be nothing without her. She has shown me strength and perserverance. She is not afraid to show me tough love, and also never fails to let me know just how proud of me she is.

I will cherish last night as another very special memory between my mother and I. She is my rock. I am humbled to have her in my life.

No comments: